Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What's with all the yelling and anger?



I saw this statement on another blog:

By the way, the theme for this year's Southern Baptist Convention: "Love Loud: Actions Speak Louder Than Words."

When I read that I laughed. "Loud" seems to be the operative word these days. Steve Gaines yells even when he doesn't seem to be emphasizing a point. He seems angry all the time now. Mac Brunson was
criticized for preaching on Christian civility and love while yelling. Wade Burleson sums it up here:

"I couldn't help but have two thoughts reverberate in my head as Mac preached on Christian civility and love - (1) Why is he yelling so loud? Usually, loud preaching is not bothersome [obviously he hasn't listened to SG lately], but there seemed to be a disconnect between a preacher talking about Christian civility and love while yelling at the people who he says (those of us in the congregation) aren't showing it, and (2) I wonder what Mac's church member - the one who criticized Mac on his blog and then was issued a trespass warning without ever being personally contacted by Mac - was thinking?"

I know what he was thinking. The same thing Wade was thinking.

For the past 2-3 years, Bellevue has been about a year ahead of FBC Jacksonville in this whole "transitioning" process. Remember transitioning? Looks like Jacksonville is catching up.

I found
this video of Mac Brunson addressing his congregation to be quite telling. At first one might think the comparisons to Robert Tilton and Benny Hinn to be comparing apples to oranges, but are they really? I mean, is there really any difference between the "prosperity gospel" preached by these charlatans and the preaching of Mac Brunson and Steve Gaines? And again we hear the yelling and arrogance dripping from his lips as he tells his congregants, in a word, "I told you so."

No comments:

Post a Comment